Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 Recap & Looking to 2011

First off, before I get to anything else, I just have to share this. I went to the post office during the holidays and what did I find in my PO box?

In case you can't read it in the pic, the package is addressed to 'Ava March, Author-Under-the-Cupboards-in-the-Garage'. I seriously laughed out loud (and got a few odd looks from the postal workers). Many thanks to Chris for the gift, and for making my day. ((hugs))

Back to your regularly scheduled post. I tend to be rather type-A in everyday life, so of course I keep a writing schedule where I plan what I want to write for the year and track what I actually got done. For 2010, here's what got done:
- From Afar (novella) - wrote in 2009, released 2/2010
- Deliberately Unbound (free short story) - wrote & posted 4/2010
- His Client (short novel) - wrote in 2010
- Bound Forever (novella) - wrote in 2010
- Pleasures of Somerville Park (free short story) - wrote & posted 9/2010
- Beyond Reckless (short story) - wrote in 2010, released 11/2010
- Back to You (novella) - wrote 16k/25k in 2010

Only 2 book releases, but I spent a lot of time writing in 2010. 2009 was primarily spent writing an Evangeline novel, and in 2010 I focused on Ava. As a result, I already have 2 books written that will be released in 2011.
- His Client - January 11th
- Bound Forever - March 8th

What do I plan to write in 2011? I have a list of what I want to get done, but I've learned such lists tends to get jacked very quickly. Here's the definite will-write list:
- Convincing Leopold (novella) - due end of Feb, release likely in June
- Deliberately Bound (freebie) - April
- Back to You (novella) - finish by April/May. I've been writing this one on and off over the past few months. I wanted to get it done by the end of 2010....and well, that ties into my main resolution. But I will get it done by spring'11 - I promised Shawn I wouldn't leave Sasha hanging.

After that, I want to write the werewolf book I outlined months ago and also a prequel for Rys and Martin from Beyond Reckless. Both would be novellas. But I'll get to them many months from now, which falls into 'fuzzy schedule' territory. So I'm leaving them at the top of the 'want to write' list.

That leads into resolutions for 2011. Tops on the list?
- Be more focused. It's no secret I'm a slow writer, and the primary cause is my tendency to get....distracted. By everything. A shiny new book idea, the internet, TV, email, my internal editor from hell, and just plain stalling. In 2011, I need to use my time more wisely and stay focused on what needs to be done.

So that's a recap of 2010 and the plan for 2011. How about you? Any interesting resolutions or goals for 2011?

Happy New Year, and may 2011 be full of happiness, good health, and love!

16 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Ava!

    That's an awesome address you have there! It's a little like the 'house under the hill' or some such!

    I'm looking forward to the new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A werewolf story, eh? I can't wait to see where you go with that! Wow!! You got a lot accomplished in 2010! You should be proud. BTW, I laughed out loud when I read the envelope, too, lol! When I read it, I pictured you and your laptop huddled in the garage with the space heater. Too cute, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did warn you that I was going to be the first person to send something to your Harry Potteresque address! :D Glad you got a giggle out of it.

    I think I'd have to use one of those internet blocking/writing focus space applications to keep from being distracted by every email and blog post that popped up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Wren - Thanks and happy new year right back at you. I *heart* my address, too. :)

    Barbara - Your mental image is startling close to the truth! LOL. And there's definite huddleage involved when it gets cold outside.

    I thought of that warning, too, Chris, when I got the package. I believe I mumbled something like 'she actually did it' as I was laughing. Definitely got a kick out of it. ;) My laptop has a switch to turn off the wireless connection but...it's so hard to flip that switch. Makes it feel like I'm suddenly disconnected from the world. :-O Nooo - internet come back! *hastily flips switch back on* LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL love the address!

    Looking forward to your upcoming stories. I have the same problem with distractions, mainly google reader and FB games, so my goal is also to be more focused. I've started off strong by blocking 3 of the games already and will probably end up playing only one. I hope! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't ever join Twitter - MASSIVE time suck..LOLOL (but soooooo much fun)

    Looking forward to 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay strong, Lily! You can do it. LOL

    Mandi - That's exactly why I haven't joined Twitter. I keep hearing how fun it is (and I feel like I'm missing out on so much fun stuff), but the whole time suckage thing has kept me from creating an account. I'll admit, I've gone to the twitter home page, clicked on the sign up button, but stopped from signing up just in time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've actually signed up, stayed with it for two days, then canceled my account! I would spend all day there, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Twitter. Ava, you should get an account!

    Chris should to, but I think she's afraid of Kris and won't get one.

    I'm looking forward to your upcoming books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No Twitter. No Facebook. I am at my maximum sustainable level of connectivity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Eyre! But...nope, no account for me. If I ever signed up, you'd likely be able to hear the suckage sound as it sucked up all my time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! You need to get a t-shirt made out with that entire name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Ava:)

    I hope you have the best year ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Andi! And I hope you have a fantastic year, too :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Barbara